Duck Soup

I enjoy fantasy and science fiction. I strive to create art that is appropriate for all age groups. I also really like painting modest women in these genres. - dc_hughes@netzero.com

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Ode to N.C. Wyeth - work in progress

My friend and mentor Daniel Horne was taught in the tradition of Howard Pyle.
Last summer my family drove to Cherry Hill, NJ in our old Honda Accord (much to my relief we didn't break down). It was in Cherry Hill that I interned with Daniel Horne. It was a fantastic experience, and having my family with me was the best.

My family has traveled back east for the past two summers. I love going to Chadds Ford to visit the Brandywine River Museum. The top floor is filled with the incredible paintings of N.C. Wyeth.
Wyeth was very prolific, but I noticed something on the last visit that I haven't had time to look into...in 1911 N.C. painted the 17 masterpieces for Treasure Island. It was his breakthrough, but that was also the year Howard Pyle (his mentor) died. I just wondered how that affected N.C. ...if it drove him.

2 Comments:

Blogger S.T. Lewis said...

You can't trust women pirates... or any pirates, I guess. Then what I meant to say was you can't trust women. Being a pirate makes very little difference. Nice one here, Daniel.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Sammy said...

hey i thought id pop in and say how fantastic your work is! such professional style and colouring! xx

5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home