Duck Soup

I enjoy fantasy and science fiction. I strive to create art that is appropriate for all age groups. I also really like painting modest women in these genres. - dc_hughes@netzero.com

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Joan of Arc, 1434

Oil on canvas panel. 2007

A justice figure, this is Joan a couple years after entering the Pearly White Gates. She’s no longer Saint Joan, but instead a dark-robed angel. She holds a book of law and knows it well. She treasures the permanency of it. Her sword represents justice and the fate awaiting those who falsely tried and burned her at the stake.
Joan of Arc is a character I’ve painted three times now, and I’m sure I’m not done yet. This is the first time I have painted her without armor.
The model who posed for this is a very talented portrait artist, Molly Williams. I must say it is somewhat intimidating to paint a portrait of a portrait artist!

Technique:
I shot reference using a diffused North (cool) light to eliminate any strong form and cast shadows. I also obtained as many props as pertinent, and was therefore able to see the effects of the same light source on all the objects simultaneously.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ken Chandler said...

This is a powerful piece Dan-- both in its symbolism as well as in its execution. I too have always admired Joan of Arc, and Molly made a great model for her. Her dress is stunning too. Where can I get one for my wife? Absolutely gorgeous.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Ben D. Kennedy said...

Beautiful painting of Saint Joan. If you ever want to post any of your paintings of her at
MaidofHeaven.com plese contact me.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home